Arrivals.

Year Two. Month One. Lineholder. #YEG.

I am spending the afternoon organizing a new blogging schedule, reaching out to fellow bloggers about new projects, updating my portfolio website, e-mailing a travel writing sponsor and wondering if I should rely solely on a media kit to write a story on a new hostel in Tel Aviv or if I should just go there myself to check it out.

...I just had to re-read that paragraph about twenty times to realize that this is actually my life now.

Writing and traveling and flying all over the world. This is my life now. I don't make much, but I've never been happier. This job has showed me that if you have a passion for something, there is probably a job out there that allows you to do what you love -- and get paid for it.

I used to joke around with friends: I wish I could just travel and write and not have to work. Well, my wish has mostly come true. I still do have to work. And it's not always glamourous. More often, it's straight up hard labor. But at the end of the day I feel good about what I've accomplished.

And then there's my days off: hiking on lovely Whidbey Island. Long afternoons spent with my boyfriend and our cat, cooking and baking and enjoying life.

Or traveling. I try to maintain a certain degree of balance in my life, but sometimes that travel itch just gets me. And then I am off -- jumpseating to Seoul or Tel Aviv or Amsterdam.

Today I am in the middle of a work trip, enjoying a 30-hour layover in Edmonton, Alberta. I have hot chocolate and high speed internet and my about twelve browser windows open. From humble beginnings as just a little digital diary to partnerships with rad travel brands such as AbrahamHostels.com and TheFlightAttendantLife.com, my writing has finally, for the first time in my life, paid off. And it feels good. It's what I love to do.

So now I am trying to grow this little seed of travel writing. Last month, I began a little side gig as a content manager over at TheFlightAttendantLife.com. It's been so rewarding. I get to shoot e-mails back and forth with Kara and Meghan, as well as brainstorm new blogging ideas.

I still love my little blog. It is, to me, a very personal account. It's my story. It's still a digital diary, but one that I am so happy to share with others who are on a similar journey.

Thanks for being a part of this blog's journey.

And the best of luck to all of you who are figuring out how to do what you love.

Happy flying!


Comments

Popular Posts