Homecoming.

Year Three. Month Seven. #PNW.

Just down the road from home. And yes, this is basically my backyard.

It's a blustery fall day.

Pale skies; cold and invincible. Brown leaves whip up a brief vortex before simmering down to sleep. The seasons are changing, but I'm totally okay with it.

2016 has been a challenge. It's been tough. Not bad, just a "head down, power through" sort of year.

I've worked more hours than I thought possible. I've been away from home more than imaginable. I've been apart from my loved ones more than I want to even think about.

But the seasons are changing, and so is this crazy non-stop life.

Buh-bye, Regionals! Heya, Mainline. ;)

I quit my old job. I stopped flying for most of the summer, trading in my tiny regional jets for six weeks of intensive training to work aboard the the lovely Boeing 737. It was good, and worth it. I learned a lot. I fell in love with a company that I didn't think I would ever get to work for. I have my dream job.

And now I'm on line and soaring through this new mainline life.

I work a lot less now. Three, maybe four trips a month. A few airport standby shifts. It's reserve life, but it's pretty easy.

Crewmembers Celessa, Matt ...and Flat Stanley, our "jumpseater."
My co-workers are wonderful people. You meet them and you totally understand why they were hired. My work days are rarely long, and the work is clear-cut. Instead of six legs a day, cleaning my own plane and solving all of my own problems, I now work with a 10.5 hour duty day limit, in a clearly defined position with all of the tools, resources and support staff I could ever dream of. What that leaves me with is more time to provide extra special care for my customers, more self-care for myself and more time and energy for ...life.

("Life" has taken a back seat these last few years. It's time I got back to it.)


Home is where these two are. <3 <3 <3

That brings me back to today. I am home, in my house on Whidbey Island, fireplace roaring and my beloved cat and fiancé curled up on the couch next to me. These moments are so precious to me, partly because I've been constantly on the go for what feels like years.

But now it's time to get back to "life."

We are slowly re-doing our home. My fiancé is starting his new career. Our family members are having babies. And of course, we are getting married. It's an exciting time, and I don't want to miss any more moments if I can help it.

Life is weddings and home improvements and eating s'mores for dinner.

If you are a flight attendant, don't forget about finding that balance. Have your adventures and travel the world but don't forget about what you already have at home.

Now excuse me while I get back to this crazy adventure called life.

Happy homecoming!

Comments

  1. I think your blog is great. Keep up the excellent work. Just a quick question. I know that you are not allowed to discuss specific layover hotels, but in general, do you find a difference in the quality of the layover hotels in regards to mainline vs. regional carriers? The perception is that mainline carriers tend to offer their crew members nicer hotels in terms of comfort and quality. Have you found this to be true? Again, thanks for continuing to treat us all with your fantastic blog.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts